Last Call – A Woman’s Place is in the Fast Lane Edition

I once participated on a march on the White House for women’s reproductive rights. After the march, we all plopped down in the quad for lunch and my group happened to be sitting next to another who had dubbed themselves dykes on bikes, and featured lots of leather, but nary a beard among them. Thinking about that experience made me remember this sixties movie, and I think that lady biker gang would approve of its poster.
Image source: [grapevinewasp via Flickr]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The maximum upload file size: 64 MB. You can upload: image, audio, video. Links to YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and other services inserted in the comment text will be automatically embedded. Drop files here

9 responses to “Last Call – A Woman’s Place is in the Fast Lane Edition”

  1. BlackIce_GTS Avatar

    Redactnik posted a story today by objet d'mancrush Chris Harris. I feel that A) enough people here have fled that site in confusion and disgust, and B) this is worth reading, such that it's worthwhile of me to post a link to it;
    Here's the story
    I've linked to the far more readable mobile version, as recommended by Penny Arcade. You can get this by putting 'm.' between 'http://' and ''

    1. Tim Odell Avatar
      Tim Odell

      We're cool with pointing out good auto writing, no matter where it comes from.
      Just read that piece. Simultaneously incredible and not unexpected.
      I can tell you that the closest we've every come to an automaker curtailing our use of a press car was Nissan forbidding me from taking the GTR to the track. Ironic, given the hoonage that ensued on public roadways.
      …oh, and Dodge sending me this behemoth instead of a Power Wagon when they found out we'd be towing 10,000lbs over 1,000 miles. Can't say that was a bad move.

    2. Tim Odell Avatar
      Tim Odell

      Also, clicking the "blog view" button on the top row makes for a great combination of a no longer grey-on-gray color scheme, but without the web 3.5 BS that is the new "one post at a time" layout.

    3. Mr_Biggles Avatar

      It was an entertaining read. They had it up earlier with a much harsher title, something along the lines of "Ferrari tries to make every car journalist its bitch". Then it was taken down completely for a few hours, at which point I lost all hope for them. Later it came back up again with the more feel-good title.

    4. Rust-MyEnemy Avatar

      Chris Harris writes rude words on the internet!
      Also:- this.
      There is no reason Ferrari or any of the blue chip marques should be allowed to have things their own way. If Autocar, CAR, Road & Track, Top Gear etc. decided not to play ball, or properly exposed how things are with regards to the ridiculous testing charades and hoops the journos have to jump through, the motoring print world would be a far better place.
      Failing this, the "buff books" and glossies are marching towards complete irrelevancy. The monthlies have become far too industry dependent, but that goes with the territory. Let's celebrate maverick road-testers gaining more power and having the exclusive ability to tell things as they are. In their search for the truth let's hope the public at large turns to smaller, less influenced channels, eventually giving the independent outlets the upper hand. Automotive Journalism could still be injected with new life.

  2. Peter Tanshanomi Avatar
    Peter Tanshanomi

    It's not worth it. It's a horrible, horrible, movie that a few brief, grainy, dark shots of flesh cannot possibly redeem.

    1. Mr_Biggles Avatar

      I was about to go searching the tubes for it based on Number_Six's revelation. So the poster above is going to do more for me than the movie itself? Good to know.

      1. Peter Tanshanomi Avatar
        Peter Tanshanomi

        You will be mildly titillated 5% of the time, excruciatingly bored the other 95% of the movie's running time. Even the motorcycle shots are uninteresting.

    2. dr zero Avatar
      dr zero

      I have a sneaking suspicion that I caught this on TV once. I would have to agree with the views of the esteemed Tanshanomi. Very dull.